2. because 1.8 is best version ;)

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  3. lopen

lopen Well-Known Member

lopen
    MVP+
    CowSquad COWSQD
    Officer
    ''Majority''. when it's almost a 50/50 split you don't speak about a majority, you speak of an even split between 1.8 and the other versions. Also this is for hypixel alone, not for Minecraft in general.
    I'd argue the 1.8 community to be a tiny fraction of the overall community of Minecraft

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. 1.8 is the best for pvp and like other have said a lot of popular minigames are pvp based, also as hypixel has 1.8 as it core if they wanted to update they would have to re-code all there minigames for the newer version which would ruin a lot of mechanics that are used in them.

Hypixel has good reasoning to not update, plus with that they can support more versions for people to play on.

I personally play hypixel in 1.8.9 but do use 1.14 for survivals and most people know its updated but still use the older version cause thats what it plays best on, so thats an invalid point.

5. More than 50% of the server plays on 1.8. Now you might have noticed there are a couple more than 2 players on hypixel.
    I mean the server would break beyond repair but flawless idea nonetheless.
    Hah. Oh that's a good one.

6. You forget that it's not a 50/50 split because there's more than 2 versions. 7 to be exact (1.8, 1.9, 1.10, 1.11, 1.12, 1.13, and 1.14). 1.8 and 1.14 are still going to be the largest versions, but that gap widens when you take into account the entire context.
    We shouldn't have to take into account the statistics of the overall minecraft community when the overall minecraft community is not the hypixel community. Why should we care what they think? It doesn't affect them.

7. lopen

lopen Well-Known Member

lopen
    MVP+
    CowSquad COWSQD
    Officer
    Because the question of the thread is quite literally "Why are so many minecraft servers still at 1.8". I'm not entirely sure if you saw that, but I hope you know now.

Besides that, it's a 50/50 split between 1.8 and other versions. That is also what I said in my other post. I am aware between that 50% it's 40% for 1.14, 5% for 1.12 and 5% for 1.9, 1.10 and 1.11 combined.

If you are going to quote me, read what I say carefully, because I quite literally say exactly what I mean.

8. I did not. Now I do.

9. lopen

lopen Well-Known Member

lopen
    MVP+
    CowSquad COWSQD
    Officer
    This is why reading a thread + title is important. Very important.

10. I honestly can't believe I'm still getting replies to this old thread. Also, what's the hypixel post with the most "disagree"s, cuz I want to beat it!

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  11. Nope. They will have to use 1.14 as their core version which would override PvP. Hypixel Admins aren't wizards and they cannot modify the way the client works and can only do changes server-side.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Almost every feature on Hypixel is custom coded.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. BlahBlah7137

BlahBlah7137 Well-Known Member

1.8 has more players than 1.9, 1.10, 1.11, 1.12, 1.13, and 1.14.

14. lopen

lopen Well-Known Member

lopen
    MVP+
    CowSquad COWSQD
    Officer
    Oh hypixel it's a pretty 50/50 split.. so ''more'' perhaps a few hundred, but nothing worth mentioning to be honest here

15. The simple answer to this thread is 1.8>1.9+

16. Just because it's custom coded that doesn't mean it can change how the client works. For example, if you place a block in 1.14.4 then your client is going to send a packet to the server and the server in return will respond to it placing it. If you use an old client like 1.8.9 then your client won't be able to send that similar packet. The server can not interfere; only respond. If you place a block or use an item that was made in a newer version then the server won't know how to respond to it because the server.jar file was made for an older version. Another example that proves it is that admins need to create an anticheat that checks the player if he is cheating and depending on the situation, it sometimes logs them. Client sided packets do not provide the server enough information on what the player is doing at a certain time. The information that the server receives from the client is sometimes messed up by things like latency and TPS therefore developers need to be extra careful when they develop an anticheat so that they don't get people banned due to false checks and that's also why someone in order to get banned needs to violate multiple checks. Hypixel, in order to support newer clients, uses a plugin that allows the server to interact with them. This, of course, limits the features that new minecraft versions have since the server in its core is still the same (the plugin makes the server compatible with new clients but cant implement their new features).

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  17. I’m not saying to change the client. I’m saying that they could easily code in any features that they deem necessary.

18. they still cant because minecraft isnt open source so they dont have access to the source code

19. Just because they don't have access to the source code doesn't mean that they can't make their own versions of features in later updates.

For example, it wouldn't be that hard for the devs to create potion effect arrows if they felt like it had a purpose in a game.

20. I am pretty sure Spigot's and Bukkit's API doesn't allow you to create blocks or items with custom appearance.