?

Should the maps be revamped?

1. Yes!

93.6%
  2. No. (Explain why?)

6.4%
  1. I've been playing Duels for quite a long time, ever since they had the old Tree map. There really wasn't too much wrong with the map, the only problem was the way it had been designed. The positives of the Tree map were: it was fairly small, not much room to run for minutes; it had terrain, not too hilly, but it was fairly decent; and it had a nice tree, which one could stand behind and do whatever (although this isn't too much of a positive, as it can also serve as a negative). The only downsides to the map were: it was poorly designed; the tree wasn't properly placed, and the tree was quite large; the slabs could be a bit of a problem; you could very easily get trapped in the little crevice-like parts of the walls.
    Later, the introduction of the new maps came along. These maps gave variety to Duels, and I must admit, they were a very nice addition to the mode. At the time, the only maps were Neon and Arena (IIRC, they had removed the old Tree map by this time). These maps are pretty alright, as they gave variety. After a bit (when Duels was released as an official gamemode), the others maps came out, which gave even more variety.
    The problems with the current maps are the ones that the Tree map had covered: they're too large; they're flat; and they have zero buildings/ trees. The current maps, excluding Arena (idk its size lol), are 81 x 81 blocks. If you've played enough Duels, you know that people just love to run (I must admit, I've done it a few times myself, but not excessively). This why (I assume) they reduced the amount of pearls in NoDebuff, from 16 to 5.
    A few suggestions to what could be tweaked in the current maps (or perhaps with any possible addition of new maps):
    • Decrease the size of the maps: the current size of most of the maps is 81 x 81 blocks. This is pretty large, considering the fact that runners are clearly a problem in Duels. What I would suggest is that any possible map tweaks/ new maps would be either 51 x 51 (somewhat smaller, but it really isn't that small) or anything in-between (maybe 64 x 64).
    • Add terrain/ trees to the maps: When I say terrain, I don't mean giant spikes in the ground, but a map that is much too leveled is not a very well-designed map. Maps with terrain add much more variety to pvp, and can really help when fighting cheaters. With trees, I don't mean large trees, but perhaps small, skinny trees. This would be a good addition to the Backwoods map, seeing as though it is forest-themed. Of course, there wouldn't be too many trees, maybe two or three at best.
    Below, is an image comparing the current size of the maps to what a 51 x 51 map size would look like (sorry if it kinda hurts your eyes btw) :
    duels map layout v2.png
    (The red is the current map size, 81 x 81, the blue line is a border of what a 64 x 64 map size would look like, and the gray area is a 51 x 51 map size).
    This may provide a better visual representation of the map sizes: https://imgur.com/a/7f9vVcC

TL;DR
    Maps are too large, and can encourage running.
    Maps are too flat, and can be a problem when facing cheaters/ good players/ hinders the full capability of what you can do.
    Variety is great, but when they're all basically the same, and they have the same flaws, it really isn't that great.
    Thank you for reading, hope you understand what I'm trying to say. :)

~ Valley

##EDIT##
    Here is an example (rough one) of what a map could potentially look like
    (I know, it's made of glass and doesn't look very well-designed at all, but it is to give you a visual representation)
    51 x 51 map with elevated terrain on both sides, a tree on both sides, and essentially looks the same on each side.
    https://imgur.com/a/ZgqLHxO
    ##EDIT #2 ##
    Might I also note that maps for 4v4s duels would best remain the size of 81 x 81, but with such terrain features (I actually don't really play 4v4s much, so I don't really know which maps they use; I'm assuming they use the same maps, in which case large maps would be fine. With 2v2s, however, I think that smaller maps would be OK, but large maps could also function for these duels)

Last edited: May 25, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 18
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Hype Train Hype Train x 1
  2. I agree, I feel like they should be smaller.
    Eh.. in my opinion, Duels maps are meant to be flat so both players have an even playing field (no that's not a pun)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  3. Yes, but the problem is that with flat maps, you don't have a low-ground advantage that may come in handy (this would apply to both players). This is useful when fighting reach hackers, or just against anyone.

4. Disliked

Disliked Well-Known Member

Disliked
    MVP++
    None X
    GUILDMASTER
    Nicee idea's, maybe you can make some example maps

• Creative Creative x 1
  5. Good idea +1

i rlly liked the duels map when it was first out in prototype i have no clue why it was removed :(. It only needed some readjustments

• Creative Creative x 1
  6. I'm not very good at making maps, but I think I'll try and make some rough ideas as to what an ideal map would look like. Thanks for the feedback!
    I agree

7. +1
    And bring back 16 pearls to NoDebuff, it's unplayable with 5 since you can't properly play

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. I completely agree, not to mention that constantly playing the same maps gets very repetitive over time.

• Hype Train Hype Train x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  9. can u pls not use that font it looks so weird xD

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. But but but it's the one that like, the normal one looks bad :(

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  11. Pls dont

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. I love these ideas, countless times I have experienced players running away from me forever due to the large and flat map structure. I completely agree Valley.

• Hype Train Hype Train x 2
  13. EDIT: Added a poll.

14. bump xd
    I'll make some quick example idea map designs later tonight maybe (prob)

15. Alright — Looking at this edit, this may have changed my mind on how these maps should work. I like the idea, but I feel as if this may not work for some maps, such as the "Tron" themed one. What do you propose for that map?

16. Well, I feel as though that map is fine being flat, but it would be much nicer if it were resized to 51 x 51 or so. With the other maps, adding elevation or terrain features would seem fine in my opinion; adding trees to the map Backwoods would be a fantastic addition, seeing as though the map is forest-themed. With the map Arena, I'd suggest they only add slight terrain in the sand parts of the map (the four corner-sections of the map), being one block of elevation, and not to an excess.
    Might I also note that maps for 4v4s duels would best remain the size of 81 x 81, but with such terrain features (I actually don't really play 4v4s much, so I don't really know which maps they use; I'm assuming they use the same maps, in which case large maps would be fine. With 2v2s, however, I think that smaller maps would be OK, but large maps could also function for these duels). [Will add this to the original post]

17. TipDS

TipDS Well-Known Member

TipDS
    MVP+
    Lunam Montis
    Guild Master
    I like the idea of having a slight elevation on the sides of the map but not in the middle, something that I think the old tree map was lacking. I’ve had some problems with people running for literally 3-5 mins, and I think this would be a good change because people can either get stuck on the blocks while running or possible turn around and getting a nice combo with the low ground advantage.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Yeah. There were a lot of problems with the old Tree map, mostly because of how it was designed.

19. I agree, but nothing like the slabs on the old map, maybe like the designs on Zonix? Just no tall grass please :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Yes, the slabs were a very big problem in the design. (also yeah, no tall grass or tall plants that can interfere with the fights.)