1. LyallPD

LyallPD Administrator

LyallPD
    Admin
    Hello everyone,

Today we are going to discuss Monetization, a delicate topic that we want to have an honest and open conversation with our community about. We believe this conversation can be beneficial for both the Hypixel Network as well as our players.

In recent years, we’ve seen a lot of new and different ways to fairly monetize video games and we think it’s time to modernize ours. This is why today, we bring a proposal to our community in hopes of finding a better, more fair, and fun way to monetize our server to help us fund development for years to come.

Recently, “Loot Boxes” as a whole in the gaming industry has been getting a bad reputation, mostly caused by larger corporations and mobile games pushing “Pay 2 Win” items instead of being purely cosmetic and fair to their own community.

For us, it’s also one of the least purchased items on the store, it’s doing quite poorly at less than 5% of our total revenue and requires a lot of work to get new content for it. Not to mention, the random factor of it can make you regret purchasing it in the first place if you didn’t get what you wanted.

Our proposal is to create some form of a Hypixel Season Pass which would include cosmetic rewards similar to our Mystery Boxes / Game Loot Boxes. Players would unlock cosmetics as they “level up” their Season Pass, giving them the incentive to play as well.

No random factor for cosmetics anymore - you would see what you get and how to get it right away.

If you already own Mystery Boxes and Loot Chests, we wouldn’t take them away from you. You will still be able to manually open them, the only change is that you won’t be able to buy or find new Mystery Boxes or Loot Chests anymore.

These passes would stay for 12 weeks in total with 1-2 weeks in between the passes. You’d pretty much see a lot of similarities with passes of other recent video games.

We personally don’t believe in the Loot Box system anymore, we think it is outdated and that the pass system is a more fair way for players to get what they want. But we are here to see what you, the community, think about this move away from random loot to a more structured system.

I understand that monetization is not a fun topic to talk about, but as most of you will understand, we are a company that needs to pay its developers, hosting, and support our staff. We just rather do it with a system the community can get behind and might actually like.

We appreciate every comment, question, or concern raised in this topic and can’t wait for valuable feedback from all of you!

• Like x 103
    • Disagree x 23
    • Dislike x 7
    • Creative x 7
    • Hype Train x 7
    • Useful x 6
    • Agree x 4
    • Funny x 2
  2. Would those cosmetics from the season passes be exclusive to it? If so then I'm personally against the idea.

• Agree Agree x 18
    • Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Heroes_Evolved

Heroes_Evolved Well-Known Member

So basically nons get 0 rewards? Hmm k.

• Agree Agree x 19
    • Dislike Dislike x 6
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. This seems :thonk:

Also, achievements such as "Open 250 Bedwars Crates" would need to be changed as well.

• Agree Agree x 24
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. dogo

dogo Well-Known Member

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

not now that im like 22 levels away from getting the 'open 250 loot boxes' achievement in bed wars

pls save my ap

#apdeservesbetter

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Infit

Infit Well-Known Member

Maybe you could include something like a 1 day MVP++ or a booster for 30 minutes? I really don't want loot boxes and mystery boxes only for that season pass. Coins and cosmetics in the season pass would also be a great idea. Overall I think it's a great idea

• Disagree Disagree x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Lootboxes are banned!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Tyba

Tyba Well-Known Member

Tyba
    MVP++
    The Bloodlust BLOOD
    How about having a default and a premium version for each pass?

The default version would give you rewards every 5 or 10 levels/tiers (call it whatever you want). Those rewards could be just basic stuff like experience, arcade coins or personal boosters.
    This version would be free and it would be active for anyone by default, as the name says.

The premium version would be the one people would have to pay for. It would come along with an exp-boost (exp in this case refers to increasing the level/tier of your pass, not your network level) and it would have rewards for every single level/tier.
    Those rewards would be the cosmetics you were talking about, but obviously players with the premium pass would also get the rewards from the default pass.

• Like Like x 16
    • Agree Agree x 7
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Oh welp, atleast i still have lot of Chests in Murder Mystery including Merry ones

• Like Like x 3
  10. I hate fortnite but their Battle Pass system is honestly great...

Nons get stuff, but Donors get better stuff, incentivizing purchases but not punishing those who don't buy them. The fact that there is a feeling of progression rather than randomness makes it more fun too.

One more thing - the mystery box loot got really stale really quickly, and besides the cloaks and one pet, there isn't a whole lot people would pay money for. This could give you guys a good chance to grant us cosmetics that players actually want.\

Thanks for being open :)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  11. LyallPD

LyallPD Administrator

LyallPD
    Admin
    Same as with the current system, where cosmetics are exclusive to certain boxes and chests.

Its not something we would implement right away, so there still would be time to get that achievement. Once the Boxes are gone, we would probably make it a legacy achievement.

Ranked players will get the same rewards as non-ranked ones - this is not depended on rank. Pretty much what Tyba mentions is was what he had in mind.

• Like Like x 1
  12. I'd like to see some sort of hybrid system. A season pass would be cool (unlocked by default for MVP++ for the duration of their rank? ;)), but I do like my boxes and chests. It'd be nice to be able to earn these still through playtime, or random chance, or quest completion. Tying these together would require a lot more coherent thought than I can muster up early in the morning.

My only question is what would happen to all the systems tied into mystery boxes? What about gifts, or radiating with generosity, or even pet items?

• Disagree Disagree x 15
    • Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 1
  13. dogo

dogo Well-Known Member

brb grinding bw for the first time in a year

• Like Like x 1
  14. SalazarsRevenge

SalazarsRevenge Well-Known Member

SalazarsRevenge
    MVP+
    First of all, thank you for being open to your players about this delicate subject. At the end of the day, Hypixel is a business, and must continue being ontop of itself to make money, whilst at the same time ensuring the customers (or in layman's terms, players) are somewhat happy with the system.

I really like the idea proposed - it almost seems similar to implementing the MVP++ rank, but this time instead of a temporary (and rewarding) rank, you're introducing a temporary, season-based (and again, extremely rewarding) "pass" system.

What are your ideas with regards to the cosmetics attained? Long-term thinking suggests that collecting cosmetics will eventually get boring and tiring, and the once "rare, one-in-a-million" cosmetic will be owned by every other pass owner.
    Overall though, I really like the idea. A small thing, but in my opinion, cosmetics in season 1 should NOT be attainable in other seasons, again to make the veteran players actually have something to show.

• Like Like x 6
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. x_x

x_x

x_x Well-Known Member

x_x
    MVP+
    The Foundation F
    Another thing that would be cool is making it so you can get holiday cosmetics from mystery boxes for an extremely high price (mystery dust, not real money) and only during the event.
    That way people would actually value mystery dust a little more since who will buy mystery boxes for one or two items anyway?

edit: dislikes owo

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    • Dislike Dislike x 6
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. SalazarsRevenge

SalazarsRevenge Well-Known Member

SalazarsRevenge
    MVP+
    Also random shower thought, but perhaps you could find a way to implement a use for karma in this update somehow? ;)

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Creative Creative x 1
  17. I completely disagree. Under the current system, Nons get Mystery Boxes and Mystery Dust from those boxes just by playing games. By taking away the ability to find Mystery Boxes, Nons would no longer be able to unlock ANY cosmetics without paying money. This would have a large impact on the housing community, as many players would no longer be able to unlock blocks. I don't see why you can't have both systems in place.

• Agree Agree x 21
    • Like Like x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  18. Wait, so you're saying the people that don't buy the season pass don't get anything?

• Like Like x 1
  19. Died

Died Well-Known Member

iD
    MVP++
    6 6
    Okay lets do it now this sounds epic

• Disagree x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Dislike x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Hype Train x 1
  20. CosmicJhin

CosmicJhin Well-Known Member

those who don't pay don't get rewards because hypixel needs money? how dare they!!!???

• Like Like x 1