1. I'm looking to learn how to mods like togglechat, autogg, togglesprint, etc. I was wondering if you guys recommended any courses for it? Thanks!

2. Im assuming you have no (or next to no) prior programming experience. You probably won't like to hear this (I didn't) but you can't go into programming with the mindset of learning the basics and getting into modding ASAP. It might be easy to plug things in from a Minecraft modding tutorial and see what works, but this isn't the right way to learn and you might find yourself burning out quickly as you don't fully understand what's going on. Learning to program, especially on your own, takes a long time. Typically universities will teach the basics over 1 or 2 semesters, depending on the university and the class. You will find that this means at least 50 hours (up to 100 or more) of lecture alone, along with plenty more spent on homework. It is a serious commitment, and you should treat it as if you are learning a new language.

This is not to discourage you. I want you to learn programming, but you need to enter it with the right mindset. Definitely step #1 if you don't already know is to see if your school offers any programming classes. If so, take them, if you can, regardless of what language they are teaching (almost all languages share the same core concepts and it's relatively easy to switch between them). The value in taking a class is you are forced to practice at home and keep pace with the class. You will also of course be getting credit for doing something you hopefully enjoy. Depending on your age, you might also be able to take a class at a local community College (even if you're still in high school). You might be able to find a class that's outside of the school system, however that could be hit-or-miss. If a class isn't an option or you decide you really just want to teach yourself during your free time, great. This is what I and many others did. Keep reading.

Learning to mod can be like learning an entirely new programming language.
    You first need to learn to program, forgetting about Minecraft and video game modding. There is no perfect tutorial, and you should not expect to watch one tutorial and immediately understand programming. Every tutorial is different and what helps you may just completely confuse someone else. It might take some searching to find what works for you. I did a quick YouTube search and found this video which seems pretty popular:

I haven't ever watched it, however give it a try and see if it's working for you. If not, try searching on Google or YouTube for other videos. You can always come back here and ask for other tutorials, questions you may have, etc. In whatever tutorial you choose, try to follow along in your own IDE/text editor (unless instructed otherwise), and perhaps take notes if you're feeling up to it.

Another important part to becoming a self taught programmer (or programmer in general for that matter) is learning how and when to properly Google. Believe it or not, it is a skill and you get better at it with practice. Before ever asking a question, Google it. Throw a bunch of keywords related to your question out there and see what pops up. 99.9% of the time someone has asked the same question as you, it's just a matter of finding it. This article might be helpful: https://codinginflow.com/google-programming-questions
    (I found this article by searching "How to Google programming")

Now, let's say you've gone through the basic tutorial (perhaps multiple). You think you kind of know what you are doing. Try some coding challenges in Java or whatever language you were learning. It's a good way to practice and you will find all sorts of challenges ranging from stupid-easy to impossible hard. Stuck? Google it. Still stuck? Ask for help. STILL stuck? Go back and watch more tutorials.

You're ready to step into Minecraft modding. Prepare to be incredibly confused, as Minecraft modding does not follow the same work flow as normal Java. Minecraft Forge is entirely event-driven, meaning you say goodbye to the "main" class, and simply tell Minecraft what to do when the world loads, the player drops an item, etc. By far my favorite modding tutorials come from the YouTube channel "wehavecookies". You can find them here: https://www.youtube.com/user/wehavecookies56

Coding is an extremely useful skill, but you've gotta step into it with the right mindset. We're all unique and what works for one person won't work for everyone else. What takes Joe blow 3 months could take you 1, or it could take you 12. It's really hard to say, so you might never find the magic answer in one of these "what tutorial should I use" threads. For context, I started programming probably around 2015. You never master programming, and I'm still learning to this day, however I probably didn't really get into the right mindset until mid 2018. It will be a long journey if you follow through with it. It's incredibly frustrating, but once you figure something out, or fix that one bug that you've been spending hours, days, or even weeks on, it's incredibly rewarding and satisfying. From one programmer to another I wish you the best of luck. If you ever have any questions, feel free to PM me.

• Like Like x 5
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Thank you so much, i dont think my school has classes but i will check out the articles and videos.

4. PhazeDev

PhazeDev Member

Come check out my youtube! I explain basic javs along the way! Its designed for people who have no knowledge of any programming languages