1. So the reason I'm making this thread is I was playing with Fireblaze74 (I will be calling them Fire) earlier today and we were playing together with some others, but to add challenge we weren't in a party. Throughout the 10 or so games we played I was never on the same team as Fire, even though there should be nothing making this happen. The odds of this happening if the chance that we both get on the same team is 50% (I think this is true) is 1/1024 then I highly doubt this was random (it might have been though). Does anyone know why this might be happening?

2. did you try selecting the same team as your friend

o_O

3. Chevio

Chevio Well-Known Member

Chevio
    MVP++
    Rawr ŖĄЩŖ
    Elite
    It's called matchmaking
    If you both have decent stats it's not surprising.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Chevio

Chevio Well-Known Member

Chevio
    MVP++
    Rawr ŖĄЩŖ
    Elite
    This isn't 2018-, things have changed

5. Team selection was removed in the last update since most skilled players went on the red team making the red team win most games and making the game unbalanced.

The teams are not random anymore. There is a balancer that decides who joins what team bases on their stats. Since you and Fireblaze have pretty good stats its more likely that both of you get put on a different team (both of you have a score higher than 20 according to the balancer i think)

6. The thing is we were also playing with Elskan and OceanplanetX, who also have high stats, and they were on both teams in different games. Some games had all three of us on the same team or on other teams. Thank you for the information on matchmaking though.

7. He says 13 days into the new year

8. Chevio

Chevio Well-Known Member

Chevio
    MVP++
    Rawr ŖĄЩŖ
    Elite
    13 days too much

9. Hypixel use the stats of all the players in the game to make the game balanced by putting players with similar stats on different teams for it to be more fair. If you have similar stats to your friend fire then it’s more than common for you to be against each other, I hope this made sense.

10. I don't know how the system actually works and all SPECULATIONS below use only my few days of playing since the new matchmaking system was add as my evidence.

Assuming there are no parties, someone with as much stats as Fireblaze is pretty much doomed to only have noobs on his team unless another top 10 player is in the game. The matchmaking give'th and the matchmaking take'th away.

(Assuming you got 8 players per game and the other players weren't regulars) Fireblaze = 15,400 | Oceanplanet = 5,600 | Elskan = 7,400 | you = 600. Even if you add up yours, Ocean's and Elskan's wins there's still nearly a 2,000 gap in wins between that group vs Fireblaze. So chances are, unless you are the player in the game with the least wins despite having 600, you would probably never be on his team because I think the system wants to the win total of each team to be as close as possible.

If anyone knows hows how the system actually works on a technical level, then by all means, feel free to correct me and I will delete that middle section above.

11. Wins aren't used that much in the current balancer i think. For more details you would need to ask Azureblue