SSD - Samsung EVO 500GB 850

Heatsink - NZXT Kraken

CPU - Intel i7 7700k

Ram - ???

PSU - ???

GPU - Asus ROG Strix 1080

My questions are:

1. What PSU (Power supply)?
    2. What ram? I do have an idea.... (16gb 3000mghz 8 x 2)
    3. Should I upgrade my GPU to 1080ti for 300 dollars more?
    4. Anything I could change?

Need answers quick. Christmas and Birthday Coming up... Cheers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. SquareAngle

SquareAngle Active Member

1-2k +. max prob 2.5k

4. PostFarmer

PostFarmer Active Member

VIP
    Lol I use an apple computer and I can beat any of you in a 1v1

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. PentBeear

PentBeear Well-Known Member

PentBeear
    MVP+
    i hate rich people

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. 1v1 meh

7. Depending on your budget, I would highly recommend 16GB RAM, also you could downgrade to an Intel Core i5 7700k and knock off $100, then upgrading to a GTX 1080Ti doesn't seem like such a huge upgrade, that parts optional though. As for a PSU, I'm not too familiar with that, there are tons of online calculators you could use where you put in your specs and it tells you the best one to get.

Hope this helps!

8. SquareAngle

Been saving up for 2 years +

• Like Like x 2
  9. SquareAngle

PSU is Power supply. Just need help in terms of the watts and the quality (Gold, platinum ect).

10. SquareAngle

And this is relevant how?

11. That's what I'm saying, there are plenty of online calculators in which you put in the computer specs you're getting and it will tell you the recommended wattage to get.

12. SquareAngle

Oh alright. thanks. I personally like to use pcpartpicker. Very helpful.

13. PostFarmer

PostFarmer Active Member

VIP

14. SquareAngle

1. Where did I discuss 1v1ing
    2. where did I talk about minecraft pvp
    3. where did I talk about minecraft
    4. where did I even talk about video games

15. PostFarmer

PostFarmer Active Member

VIP
    You do realize that this forums is related to minecraft right?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. SquareAngle

No this is offtopic. Quit trashing my thread please.

17. Here's the parts list I've come up with, it comes in at $1960. There's a lot of money left over, so if you don't already have a 1440p monitor then now would be the time to get one, the best of the best for 1440p right now is the Asus ROG Swift PG279Q, it's 1440p, 165Hz, IPS, and has G-Sync, coming in at $750. If you get an 8600k for your CPU the list would be costing $2600 with the monitor included, about $2700 if you go with the 8700k.

Also, Christmas is coming up, so it might be best to change a lot of the parts in this build to take advantage of the sales going on.

Once you get the computer you should do some optimization, this thread will be able to help with the computer's performance, and here's my list of tips to increase your internet performance.

If the price jumps around, or you have any questions, comments, or criticisms feel free to let me know. If anyone has any suggestions for how I can improve posts like these, I'd love to hear them.

Please read all the notes, as there are some important things in there you should know. I know it's long, but it's important.

This goes for all items listed below, if PCPartPicker has a little + next to the price, that means it'll actually be more than what it says due to shipping or tax, check out some of the other options and see which is cheapest, a lot of times an option that costs more but has free shipping will end up being cheaper than the first site listing for the product.

CPU - Intel Core i7 8700k - Can't get better than this without going into the HEDT market, which is expensive and doesn't always make good returns in gaming. If you want the monitor I mentioned earlier you can swap this with an 8600k and there won't be much of difference in performance, you can look online for reviews to see. Make sure you look into overclocking it as your motherboard supports it, and I've paired it with an AIO water cooler so you should be able to get some pretty good results. You can try Asus' auto overclocking utility found in AI Suite 3, or you can simply search online for OC guides for an 8600k using a 240mm AIO. After you've installed any motherboard drivers you may need check Intel's site to see if there's any updates for your CPU.

CPU Cooler - Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 - It's an 240mm AIO liquid cooler, so that'll help a lot with keeping CPU temps down and improving your overclocking potential. Test having it installed as a front intake, and as a top exhaust if possible, most of the time front intake is better, but in some cases top can be better.

Motherboard - Asus Prime Z370-A - This motherboard falls about in the middle of the pack for Z370 motherboards, not designed to be a budget board, and doesn't have the crazy features that the more expensive motherboards do that hardly anybody needs. It's got enough USB ports for whatever you need, and also has a single USB 3.1 type A port. Here's the drivers for the motherboard, make sure you get anything you need, and update the BIOS as well.

RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB 3000Mhz - Could've went a lot cheaper down to ~$135 for 16GB of RAM, but then the speed would be decreased, which can be a very big difference in certain games. You'll be able to comfortable do however many things on your computer with this much RAM.

Storage 1 - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD - You've got two options here, either go with the 500GB 850 Evo, or go with the 250GB 960 Evo which is an NVMe drive, they're about the same in price, but you loose out on a lot of space. For me personally I'd rather have the 850 Evo, you could also get the 500GB 960 Evo , but it's $240. Look at a few videos and articles on how NVMe storage affects things like Windows boot time, game performance, general performance, and come to your own decision on whether or not it's worth it to you. Either way also check out the Samsung Magician software, it has some useful features.

Storage 2 - Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD - This is where you'll install media, large files, music, or anything else that wouldn't benefit from an SSD's speed. In the future if you want you can buy a second one of these for more storage.

Graphics Card - Asus GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Strix - Best GPU on the market, from arguably the best graphics card manufacturer. You should be able to play just about any game under the sun at 1080p 60 FPS, or 144 FPS for the most part. If you are doing 1440p then you should still be getting over 60 FPS, the monitor I mentioned earlier is G-Sync so there won't be any tearing or stuttering when you're below the monitors refresh rate. Check online for reviews of this to see the performance you can expect, DigitalFoundry's videos are a good place to start. Make sure you grab GeForce Experience for driver updates and other features, also you'll have access to ShadowPlay which can constantly record your screen, and allow you to save up to the last 20 minutes of video.

Case - Case is a very subjective thing, so you can change this as you see fit. If you decide to change the case make sure you've done your research into reviews, and what features it has, and that it's fully compatible with your case (PCPartPicker can do this for you). You don't need to spend $200 on a case, it's mostly for the aesthetics.

Power Supply - Corsair CSM 750W 80+ Gold - It's 750W, so you won't be worrying about running into any power limitations any time soon, it's 80+ Gold so it's very efficient, meaning less energy wasting and less heat. It's also semi-modular, which is really nice for cable tidiness. Power supplies have tons of mail-in rebates going on all the time, so the price on this will likely change fairly soon. You can pick your own, use this PCPartPicker search, it's filtering for the big PSU makers, 80+ Gold or above, 600W or above, and 4-5 stars on PCPartPicker, if there's only a few reviews check Newegg or Amazon to see how much people like it. Currently has a $20 mail-in rebate making it $59.99.

OS - Windows 10 - I'm recommending you purchase a Windows 10 key from Kinguin. This video will provide more information.

Optical Drive - No optical drive as it's not needed to install Windows, if you really need one you can get this one. Note that not all cases will support one being properly installed, but you can still have one plugged in with the side panel removed.

Wireless Networking Card - You should be using ethernet if at all possible, but if you absolutely need to use WiFi you can purchase this and put it in your case below your GPU if you have a PCIe slot available.

Price of build - $1959.67

Here's a screenshot of the parts list
    so you can check the prices against what they were when I created it.

This depends on how much you want to spend, the king of the mice is currently the Logitech G903, but that's really expensive and isn't for enthusiasts who are willing to spend lots of money, so we can ignore that and skip straight to the ~$40 price bracket which is where the most popular mice lie. If you play games frequently then I'd go for something like a Logitech G502 or Razer DeathAdder Elite, those are the two top contenders for the ~$40 price bracket.

You can go cheaper more towards the ~$30 price bracket with things like the Steelseries Rival 100. Or you can go even a bit cheaper to ~$13 with the Redragon M601 Centrophorus. There are also other mice by the likes of Corsair, Zowie, Mionix, do your own research and come to your own conclusion for what you want.

If you want a wireless mouse be very careful of what you buy, there are lots of wireless "gaming" mice that are terrible in terms of input latency, tracking, and battery life. If you want a wireless mouse, then the Logitech G602 is what you want.

With peripherals there almost never is a "best" for whatever you're looking at, best is relative to what features you want and budget you have. So take 10 or 20 minutes, check out what's popular on Amazon, see what tech publications talk about, check out a few reviews when you find a mouse you're interested in, etc. Most mice by big brands are roughly equal in quality at similar price points, so pick based on how it feels in the hand, macro buttons and their placement, aesthetics. See if you can find one on display at a store like Best Buy, Microcenter, or Fry's so you can feel it in your hand.

All of the mice I mentioned come with their own software that can edit things like DPI/CPI, macro settings, lighting. Also note that macros aside from chat related functions aren't allowed on Hypixel.

You don't really need a gaming keyboard, you should however be using a mechanical keyboard. By this I mean just because a keyboard has gaming in the name doesn't mean it's good, there's literally $10 membrane keyboards that are "gaming". Most keyboards around are membrane keyboards, which don't feel as good and have a lower lifespan than mechanical keyboards, but mechanical keyboards are more pricey, starting at around $40 for the cheapest of the bunch.

With mechanical keyboards you also have to look into what switch it uses, and that switch's characteristics. This guide goes over most of the switches you'll come across, some of it may be a bit outdated so if you come across something different look it up yourself. There are three main switch brands you'll see out there. Kailh, which are the cheapest, you generally want to avoid these unless you're on a budget. Cherry MX, by far the most popular, and this is probably what you want. Razer, which uses their own switches, but they all have Cherry MX equivalents. And Romer-G, which is what Logitech has been using on their keyboards lately, these feel somewhat like a high quality laptop keyboard, but they are still great for gaming and typing.

You can go to a place like MicroCenter, Fry's, Best Buy, etc, they'll usually have some keyboards on display, you can get a feel for what some are like, and test out some switches if you want.

Most of these switch brands have variants, I'll use Cherry's stuff for example. There's the Cherry MX Brown, my favourite, it's quiet, has a medium actuation force, and is tactile, compare this to Cherry MX Blue, which is basically the same but has a click to every press.

For what I personally recommend, the Logitech G610 is what I'd go with. It's about as cheap as you'll find a good high quality keyboard for, being $60. Uses a Cherry MX Red, which is very similar to the brown with the red being a little easier to press. It has a very nice design in my opinion, and comes with some other handy functions like the volume rocker. Some sites will have other versions available, if you can get an MX Brown version for the same price then I'd recommend that, but what switch you want is personal preference.

If you're an RGB guy, then my pick would be the Logitech G810, again using the Cherry MX Red switches. This keyboard is a bit more expensive, at $80, that's mainly due to the inclusion of RGB. I'm not a Logitech fanboy, they just have really good prices for the quality in keyboards right now. Some sites will have other versions available, if you can get an MX Brown version for the same price then I'd recommend that, but what switch you want is personal preference.

PCPartPicker is a great site that has most of the keyboards (and other PC related stuff) on their website, allowing you to quickly sort by various parameters and give you the cheapest price for the keyboard. Here's the search parameters I like using, this includes the three popular switch brands, and their switches that are quiet, with the MX Red being the only one that isn't tactile.

Make sure you do your own research into what kind of switch you want, what features whatever keyboard you're looking at has, reviews, lists of what's popular, etc. With peripherals there almost never is a "best" for whatever you're looking at, best is relative to what features you want and budget you have. So take 10 or 20 minutes, check out what's popular on Amazon, see what tech publications talk about, check out a few reviews when you find a keyboard you're interested in, etc.

Finally, for the gaming chair bit, you really don't need to bother with a "gaming" chair, most chairs labeled gaming chairs use a race/bucket style design. These usually aren't the most comfortable things in the world if you like to sit cross legged, or really any way other than normal. This video explains what I mean about these style of chair. Go to a few places nearby and see what kind of chairs they have, I prefer the big office style chairs, with the leather all over, as they usually have a bigger seat than chairs designed for gaming. This is the product you'll want to spend as much money as you deem fit on, the chair I've been using for quite a few years now was ~$200, there are chairs that are cheaper, I'd try and stay above $100. Some chairs may be super expensive, like around $500, you don't need a chair like this.

Between these four videos you should be set for building, you can find some more videos or read some articles if you want. Also I can help if you have any questions.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 12:57 PM
  18. Pyrospower

Pyrospower Active Member

Pyrospower
    I don't think you really need to/it's worth it

19. SquareAngle

Thanks for your input, I'll definitely consider them and update you when ive made my pc

Questions:

- Can I change the heatsink for the nzxt kraken you think?
    - Case will be phanteks p400s. you like?
    - Why do you reccomend that specific monitor? I'll be getting the monitor in about a months time, since ill be broke from the pc.
    - Can I upgrade the HDD to 3Tb? I'll be playing steam a lot.
    - Can I change the Mobo to IX Hero? I'm a fan of it and have been doing some research

I'll be getting in contact with you soon, since you seem to know your things. I don't want to **** up when making an investment like this.

20. SquareAngle

I'm looking for a durable PC with specs to last me a while. Doubt i'll ever spend money like this until quite some years down the line. I don't want to have to update it too much. Thanks for your input though. I am definitely considering staying with 1080, and furthermore my financial situation is a bit... Iffy. Currently selling a Bike for £1000 +... Guess I'll have to just wait and see.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 1:07 PM