0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. ESTP

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. ESTJ

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Anyway, I'd just like to state that I'm not an expert on this, so take my words with a grain of salt and feel free to correct me if you see something that is incorrect.

MBTI is a theory developed by Katharine Cook Briggs and her daughter Isabel Briggs Myers based upon the works of Swiss psychiatrist Carl Jung describing how people perceive the world around them and make decisions.

It is often described as a personality theory, and it can be simplified that way but I believe it can go deeper than that. A person's type indicator is a 4 letter code where you have 4 pairs of traits that can be put together to form this code. These traits are as listed: Extroversion/Introversion, iNtuition/Sensing, Thinking/Feeling, and Perceiving/Judging. For example, someone with the traits Extroversion, Sensing, Feeling, Judging would be an ESFJ and the opposite would be an INTP.

However, one thing I would like to note is that everybody has all the traits, this just measures whichever a person uses more. Although these may change, (and this is a big part of where MBTI criticism comes from), the cognitive functions (2 big words that means how you prefer to see the world; more info is in the "Cognitive Functions" spoiler) are supposed to remain more or less the same.

The Cognitive Functions are 4 pairs of ways of seeing the world. Everyone uses them all, but the top 4 are the only ones shown. The rest are known as the "shadow functions" and aren't used much. These pairs include Introverted iNtuition-Extroverted iNtuition (Ni and Ne respectively), Introverted Thinking-Extroverted Thinking (Ti and Te), Introverted Feeling-Extroverted Feeling (Fi and Fe) and Introverted Sensing-Extroverted Sensing (Si and Se).

For example, an INTJ would have the cognitive functions Ni-Te-Fi-Se. This means they primarily use Introverted Intuition developed early in childhood, and then begin using the other functions as they grow and develop.

TL;DR: MBTI is a theory with 4 trait pairs and 4 pairs of "cognitive functions" that determine how people see the world and make decisions.

Sources:

MBTI notes on tumblr
    MBTI page on wikipedia
    Official MBTI site

"MBTI is pseudoscience" - Well well, that just depends on how you look at it. You can also see it as a theory with soft science behind it. Either way, it's still useful to some people. Let's find compromise and agree that it can be useful, but it's unwise to take it too seriously.

"MBTI is unreliable" - MBTI types are not supposed to change. The tests may often give different results, but that's the fault of the test, not the theory.

"Neither Myers nor Briggs had a psychology degree" - So? Michael Faraday received little formal education and he invented the electric motor.

More reading on debunking the debunking (lol)

There are different ways to describe them, but here are a few. The cognitive function locations are known as dominant-auxiliary-tertiary and inferior. For example, an INTJ's Fi would be their tertiary function.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here is the list of functions for each type in order:

[​IMG]

Now we're getting to the fun part! Now after learning about the MBTI and the cognitive functions, you can start by looking at charts and seeing what each of the types are like. (Although many of these tend to call it a personality theory, it can be thought of that way but it's best not to think of it like that)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now that you know what the types are like, you may look at the functions and see which ones are relatable. Since most of you guys are around adolescent age, it may be harder to type but it's still possible. Try picking out the top 2 most relatable functions and this should be enough to give you the rest of them.

However, some people (like me) find it hard to find which cognitive functions are the most relatable, so in that case: you may take a test for it as seen here. After this test, it will recommend you a type.

Even then, you may still be confused. In that case, look at the questionnaire below and try to answer as truthfully as possible, and I can try helping you find your type.

Use this and people may try typing you based off of it.

• How old are you? What's your gender? Give us a general description of yourself.

• Is there a medical diagnosis that may impact your mental stability somehow?

• Describe your upbringing. Did it have any kind of religious or structured influence? How did you respond to it?

• What do you do as a job or as a career (if you have one)? Do you like it? Why or why not?

• If you had to spend an entire weekend by yourself, how would you feel? Would you feel lonely or refreshed?

• What kinds of activities do you prefer? Do you like, and are you good at sports? Do you enjoy any other outdoor or indoor activities?

• How curious are you? Do you have more ideas then you can execute? What are your curiosities about? What are your ideas about - is it environmental or conceptual, and can you please elaborate?

• Would you enjoy taking on a leadership position? Do you think you would be good at it? What would your leadership style be?

• Are you coordinated? Why do you feel as if you are or are not? Do you enjoy working with your hands in some form? Describe your activity?

• Are you artistic? If yes, describe your art? If you are not particular artistic but can appreciate art please likewise describe what forums of art you enjoy. Please explain your answer.

• What's your opinion about the past, present, and future? How do you deal with them?

• How do you act when others request your help to do something (anything)? If you would decide to help them, why would you do so?

• Do you need logical consistency in your life?

• How important is efficiency and productivity to you?

• Do you control others, even if indirectly? How and why do you do that?

• What are your hobbies? Why do you like them?

• What is your learning style? What kind of learning environments do you struggle with most? Why do you like/struggle with these learning styles? Do you prefer classes involving memorization, logic, creativity, or your physical senses?

• How good are you at strategizing? Do you easily break up projects into manageable tasks? Or do you have a tendency to wing projects and improvise as you go?

• What are your aspirations in life, professionally and personally?

• What are your fears? What makes you uncomfortable? What do you hate? Why?

• What do the "highs" in your life look like?

• What do the "lows" in your life look like?

• How attached are you to reality? Do you daydream often, or do you pay attention to what's around you? If you do daydream, are you aware of your surroundings while you do so?

• Imagine you are alone in a blank, empty room. There is nothing for you to do and no one to talk to. What do you think about?

• How long do you take to make an important decision? And do you change your mind once you've made it?

• How long do you take to process your emotions? How important are emotions in your life?

• Do you ever catch yourself agreeing with others just to appease them and keep the conversation going? How often? Why?

• Do you break rules often? Do you think authority should be challenged, or that they know better? If you do break rules, why?

Note: I ripped this off from /r/mbtiTypeMe so you can ask them if you may choose so as well.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed reading that! My type is ISTJ and I'm open to suggestions or answering questions you may have! :)

There are active communities for MBTI on websites such as reddit and tumblr and they often like to post memes and videos on the subject. I'm a decently big fan of it and I hope someone else can find enjoyment in it too!

• Like Like x 1
    • Hype Train Hype Train x 1
  2. Oops they deleted the other thread because it was a doublepost so RIP the replies xd

So basically we're moving here now

3. This was always confusing to me. Even after analyzing it as much as I could and searching through all possible sources, I still had no idea which one I was for certain. There are also a few different ways to look at the system. No "online test" or set of questions can ever be entirely trustworthy. There would be times when it could guess correctly, but usually, the results depend on how we're feeling right then. As a Pisces Rising too, my feelings are so unpredictable and "baffle" everyone that knows me (LOL). I'll leave my memories of attempting to understand the "16 types" out of the rest of this reply.

Nevertheless, I've been called both an "ISTJ" and an "ISFJ," which are known in Socionics as ISTp and ISFp. People I know that apparently know their way around this a lot better than I do say I'm most definitely "Si-dominant" as it's said. I still won't conclude my being any one type. I'll have someone else I feel confident in determining it for me. That is if I ever feel like it.

Psychology is interesting, but of all things, I tend to stay with astrology since I find it easier to learn about.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Yeah, it's definitely very confusing. I even identified as an INTJ for about a year and a half before someone else called me an ISTJ and I looked deeper into it.

Correct.

Yeah, I'm also a Si-dom and it took me awhile to realize that but now it seems a bit obvious in retrospect. I like to compare things to my past and I often go into anecdotes about it. In fact, I even obsess over old friendships. I know most people do, but I had no idea how much I did it until someone pointed it out.

That makes sense, you're probably still in "Phase 1" as am I. I don't really use Te, but I definitely don't use Fe so that's how I finalized my type as ISTJ. Process of elimination and what not.

I found these links relevant and helpful, I hope you can get something out of them.
    https://personalityjunkie.com/istj/
    https://personalityjunkie.com/isfj-type-profile/

I would try typing you, but I don't really know enough about you to say for certain.

Fair enough. I never saw the point to astrology but you do you.

P.S, Fi is simplified as values, and Fe is simplified as harmony. Neither of which have to do with personal feelings (very confusing, yes)

• Like Like x 1
  5. I think Ni and Si are both the same in terms of "repeating" what they've already done while Ne and Se both "search" through many different places. You could say Ni and Si "organize" while Ne and Se "collect."
    If only it was that easy for me. I'm always thinking "but I feel like I'm both" when I'm attempting that myself or even with someone else.
    Although doing such through the internet wouldn't be the most reliable, I'm always available.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Huh interesting. I haven't really studied the cognitive functions much tbh, do you know any good sources for further reading?

Yeah ripperoni.

Yeah, I find it very hard to type people on the internet unless I'm specifically looking for their functions. I don't know how I fare irl though, since I barely know anyone irl. Good luck finding your type though!

7. Yes although it has relevance, I would argue that it's not actually representative properly unless under certain circumstances. Finding your type is useful, but also at the same time not as it does cause someone to become a lot more biased to their identification. In addition to that, it should also be noted that since people have preconceived notions of themselves, making their answers to the questions also somewhat biased

• Like Like x 1
  8. Pretty much, yeah.

9. freeport_aiden

freeport_aiden Active Member

you're allowed to like looking at the tests and stuff for fun or whatever but please god don't suggest this is scientifically sound or anything like that

10. freeport_aiden

freeport_aiden Active Member

No, that definitely is the fault of the theory. If a theory cannot be formally tested and demonstrated to work, the theory should not be assumed correct.
    It is true that innovations can, on rare occasion, come from outside the field. This does not, however, suggest that Myers and Briggs are automatically to be given as much trust as actual psychologists.