1. Sheogorath

Sheogorath Well-Known Member

Welcome, ladies, gentlemen, and variations thereupon, to the greatest mafia game ever constructed

Ancient Rome Mafia

Welcome to the 34th edition of the ever popular, New York Times best selling, nuclear warfare inclined, dictatorial anarcho-capitalist, Hypixel Mafia!

No! It actually isn’t! Mafia was invented thousands of years ago, back when I was a wee lad. The 1980s to be exact. It spread to the internet later on since people liked torturing themselves with this game, apparently. ToS is a game based off of the original mafia, obviously. Though it isn’t the same, ToS gives a fairly decent background to mafia.

Let’s get some basic stuff out of the way here. If you’re a new player, I highly recommend reading all the spoilers included in this thread. If you’re not a new player, read them anyway. You probably forgot how to play anyway. Anywhoo, this game will be having a minimum of 18 players, but I may increase it depending on how many people sign up. First come, first serve. You can sign up as a backup if the playerlist is full.

At its core, mafia is a puzzle that each player is attempting to solve. Through a series of lies, gambits, plots, countplots, counter-counterplots, and mind games, each player attempts to gain the upper hand over the others to bring about a victory for their faction. If you enjoy social or mental games, mafia is the thread for you!

A game of mafia details the power struggle between two factions: the Town and the Mafia. The Town represents an uninformed majority; the bulk of players will be put into this faction, but they won't know who the other members of the Town are at the start of the game. It is the Town's goal to figure out who is a part of the Mafia, and eliminate those players. The Mafia represents an informed minority; though they are a much smaller group, the Mafia has access to a private chat through which they can scheme, and can easily gain the upper hand through strategic planning. It is the Mafia's goal to outnumber the Town.

Third party roles may also be thrown into the game. This "faction" often works alone, and comes equipped with their own unique win conditions. Some neutrals are harmless and must simply survive until the end of the game, but others are playing with the intention of killing every other player.

At the start of the game, each player will be PM'd their role and faction. Every role has a unique ability that will be outlined in the role PM. From there, Mafia is divided into two repeating cycles; Day and Night. During the Day, every player will have an open discussion in this thread. It is at this point that players try and figure out who they can trust, as well as discern other people's roles. This discussion will eventually lead to a lynch at the end of the day; it is the Town's objective to figure out who is a part of the Mafia and lynch them, while the Mafia aims to mislead the Town and get them to lynch one of their own. At any point during the Day, anyone can vote for someone to be lynched by using the tags [VOTE] *Player Name* [/VOTE]. The Day will end after a period of 48 hours, at which point the player with the most votes is lynched. It is also possible to end day eariler if a specific player receives more than half of the votes of the surviving players (the exact amount will be outlined in day-starting mod posts throughout the game). When a player is lynched, their role is revealed to everyone and they are considered "dead" and no longer in the game.

During the Night, each player will perform their night actions. As previously stated, each person has a role with special abilities. It is during the night that these abilities can be used. Every player PMs me what they want to do with their ability (whether it be killing, protecting, investigating, role blocking, etc. another player). It is also during this period that the Mafia has access to their private chat that they can use to plan and scheme, but this thread is closed for discussion. This period will end once each player sends me their night action.

These cycles will repeat until a winner has been determined (typically until only one faction of players remains alive, or there is no way to prevent this). I will then hand out some awards to recognize the best players and moments of the game, and then this mafia round will come to an end.

Mafia is a great way to make some new friends on the forum, join an incredibly active community, and have a great time playing what is (in my opinion) one of the best social games out there.
    1. A game of lies, deceit, plotting, counterplotting, and mental games between three factions: the town (an uninformed majority), the mafia (the informed and organized minority), and the third parties (individual players with unique win conditions).

2. Cycles through two repeating time periods, day and night. Day will take place over 48 hours, and it is during this time that all players discuss the game and who to lynch in this chat. At the end of the day, the player with the most votes is killed, and the 24 hour night cycle begins. During the night, all players will use their night actions specified in their PMs.

3. The above cycles repeat until a winner is determined. The town will win when all anti-town players are dead, the mafia will win when their faction outnumbers all other players, and third parties will win when they achieve their own special conditions (with the most common being to kill all other players or survive until the end of the game).
    1. All Hypixel forum rules also apply here. As we are using their forum to host the game, we must respect their rules. Basically, keep it PG ya skrubs.

2. Mafia is a game about discussion, so it's bound to get heated at times. Make sure you keep calm, and do not personally attack or insult others.

3. Do not discuss this game outside of any PMs created by me, or outside this game thread, or in this thread at Night. It ruins the game for everyone else, and will result in an instant modkill and potential ban from Hypixel Mafia.

4. Don't gamethrow. Gamethrowing is when you go explicitly against your win condition. If you are unsure whether your actions consist of gamethrowing, feel free to ask me in your role PM.

5. Do not copy paste, screenshot, or otherwise copy verbatim from your PM with me or your factional partners. Doing so will warrant a punishment.

6. Don't try abuse loopholes you may find in the rules or your role... without consulting me first.

7. Do not edit or delete previous posts you have made. Reading previous posts is an important aspect of mafia, so it is imperative they are unchanged.

8. Do your best to post at least one serious post per day, and do actions. If you don't think you can do that, please contact me for a backup to replace you.

10. Be prepared to read, a lot. Mafia games here usually go upwards of 50 pages in the first 48 hours. You're allowed to skim the posts, as it is a lot, but don't go around asking for TL;DRs from everyone. If you don't think this is something you can keep up with, this may not be the game for you.

11. When using mafia acronyms (such as OMGUS or WIFOM), keep in mind not everyone is familiar with them all, and do your best to explain them if asked.

12. As the mod, I reserve the right to add, remove or change existing rules if the game calls for it in order to keep the game fun for everyone.
    To sign up, simply post in the thread "/in". If there is space in the player list, you will be added by the Moderator to the game! If there is no more space, you will be added to the backup list, and you will replace a player if any need to drop out of the game. Alternatively, use "/backup" when signing up to join the backup list even if there is still space left!

Specific rules of this game
    It's essential to understand these to play this setup correctly. Ask me any questions if you're confused, and i'll see if I can answer.
    1. This is a semi-open setup. I have listed all the possible power roles that can occur, but will not reveal how many of them, or which ones will.

2. Town Power Roles can repeat once. Mafia Power roles cannot repeat.

3. The large majority of town will not be a power role (meaning they will be Vanilla Townies)

5. Roleclaiming is allowed, including massclaiming.

6. The roles will be chosen by RNG.

7. Each type (investigative, killing, protective, etc.) of role will be rolled separately, to ensure fair distribution.

8. Mafia have day chat.

9. Mafia roles are separate and will be rolled separately. However, the Mafia roles are not divided into categories.

10. Many of the roles will be given X-Shot or similar modifiers, for balance. This includes roles of all alignments.

11. To give the Neutral a fair chance, the specific possible roles will not be revealed, but rather only the possible categories of Neutral Killing, Neutral Benign, and Neutral Evil. None of these roles will be a bastard one or overpowered. No arsonists, cult leaders, inquisitors, mentors, etc. Basically, nothing that can change alignment or burst kill multiple people.

Annnnd here's the role list. Remember, these are all the POSSIBLE roles.

Investigative

-Gunsmith

-Parity Cop

-Tracker

-Watcher

-Neapolitan

-Masonizer

Killing

-Inactive Player Vigilante (yes this is a vigilante that can only target inactive players. Get posting lads. This could make it in.)

-Desperado

-Vengeful

-CPR Doctor

Protective

-Jailkeeper

-Roleblocker

-CPR Doctor

-Bodyguard

Utility/Passive/Communicative

-Jack of all Comms

-Mod Poster

-Innocent Child

-Loved

-Masonizer
    -Godfather

-Role Cop

-Strongman

-Voyeur

-Ninja

-Roleblocker

-Rolestopper

-Janitor

Note: In the situation where either are included, Ninja and Strongman in this specific game cannot perform kills of their own, but rather buff the factional kill.
    -Neutral Killing
    -Neutral Benign
    -Neutral Evil

Role PMs will be sent out once all 18 slots are full.
    We've had a lot of issues with inactivity in the past, so in this game I have a countermeasure. In addition to there being a possibility of an inactivity killing vigilante, I will also bring another punishment for inactivity. Be inactive, and I find your cringy old posts on this forum. And post them in the OP. And on discord. Oh and you'll also be replaced since we'll have more backups this time. Get posting.

And of course, cant forget about flavor. I'm not a fan of having a starting post flavor, so the first flavorpost will be on the Day1 starting post.

Have fun!
    1. AngryBirdStar
    2. @UnqriginalName
    3. @YoshiDaYoshi
    4. @FluffoPuppo
    Cemeteries the Mafia Goon
    Echks the Town 3shot CPR doctor
    Ktthecreeper the VT
    Mimi_Tachikawa the VT
    Ryast the town Masonizer
    fruitloops the VT
    Empire the neutral roleblocker

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    • Like Like x 5
    • Hype Train Hype Train x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Rorschach

Rorschach Well-Known Member

/in

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Sheogorath

no

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  4. Rorschach

Rorschach Well-Known Member

Yes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Sheogorath

fine, added.

6. Gikkle

Gikkle Well-Known Member

Gikkle
    MVP
    /in

• Hype Train Hype Train x 1
  7. SupremeCourt

SupremeCourt Well-Known Member

/in

8. nUkel

nUkel Well-Known Member

/in

9. Nz_Slimeables

Nz_Slimeables Well-Known Member

Nz_Slimeables
    VIP
    it's good to be /in

will the majority of Mafia be goons?

yikes

10. Awknd

Awknd Well-Known Member

Awknd
    VIP
    /In

11. Sheogorath

Who knows?

12. Nz_Slimeables

Nz_Slimeables Well-Known Member

Nz_Slimeables
    VIP
    me, hopefully?

13. Sheogorath

nnnnaaahhhhh

If you do want to know something that I didn't include in OP, Day/Night phases will be standard 48/24

14. Sheogorath

Ehhhh

Screw it

Changing it

A town power role can repeat but only once.

15. jmwjmw27

jmwjmw27 Well-Known Member

jmwjmw27
    MVP+
  16. Echks

Echks Well-Known Member

Echks
    MVP+
    Smite SMITE
    oh god do i really want to do this
    hnnngh
    uh
    fine

/in

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. /in let's kill myself again

What determines a player as inactive though, like, where is the line if this makes it in the game.

18. Skrimiche

Skrimiche Well-Known Member

I feel personally attacked

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. Sheogorath

Less than 5 posts in a day phase with exceptions.

I'll be able to tell when someone's being legitimately inactive. Just play the game and you'll be fine.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  20. jmwjmw27

jmwjmw27 Well-Known Member

jmwjmw27
    MVP+
    Town-seeking vigilante

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2