1. Mitochondria

Mitochondria Well-Known Member

Nah. Town of Salem (a relatively popular browser game, for those who may not be aware) is based on Mafia, not the other way around. Mafia was originally introduced as a Russian card game in the 1980s, and quickly grew in popularity across Internet forums due to its fast-paced gameplay and addicting mind games.

Despite this, Town of Salem is an incredibly good resource for new players to learn about the basics of Mafia, as both games are very similar mechanically-wise.

Screen Shot 2017-03-13 at 8.44.49 PM.png

Welcome to Hypixel Mafia XXV! For those who are unaware, this game marks both the 25th iteration of mafia here on Hypixel and the (approximate) two year anniversary of this forum game series. Before we can jump into the game, it's important that I lay out the rules and provide a quick explanation regarding how to play mafia. I highly recommend that all players, new and old, skim through this entire post; it contains a lot of information, and will prepare you for the massive amounts of reading required to keep up with a mafia game.

The rolelist I built for this game covers 27 players. I will not be changing this number, so the first 27 people to sign up will be given roles. Please only sign up if you know you can remain active; while it's always important to stay involved with a mafia game, it's doubly essential that all players put their best foot forward as this is our community's anniversary game and celebration of 2 years of mafia.

Also, I highly recommend that all players read the flavor of this game closely. This is a very flavor intensive game and, due to the presence of text adventure elements, you'll probably do better if you're following the story. Also be aware that custom roles may or may not show up on the rolelist.

Without further ado, let's jump right in!

"Are you sure you know what you're doing?"

"Of course I know what I'm doing. I've gotten us this far, haven't I?"

"You have, but-"

"Just be quiet. I've double checked all of the research. This will work."

Both figures glanced back at the third, watching as he pushed his spectacles up into the shadowed folds of his cloak. "What?" he snapped. "You both told me to check everything. I did. It all works out mathematically."

"Thank you," the second figure, who currently led the trio, nodded. "The next five minutes will be the summation of my entire life. If I succeed... if I fail... those five minutes will determine if I lived a worthwhile existance or not."

"You literally just watch Netflix in your free time," the first figure snickered. "Your life doesn't mean anything. And that isn't even mentioning-"

The leading figure raised a hand. "Thank you for the input, it's greatly appreciated. Now please be quiet. We've arrived."

The trio glanced upward, extending their torches into the shadows. Before them, surrounded by an ocean of fog and darkness, was a dais, rising up towards a mossy stone wall. Atop the dais lay an alter, plain if not for the markings etched into its sides.

"My lord," the leading figure shouted, dropping to his knees and reaching into the folds of his cloak. "We have come before you today with an offering. With this gift, I will give you life. All that I, as your humble servent, ask is that you make a covenant with me. Show me your ways. Teach me to leave my mark on this world."

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" the first figure hissed. "It's kind of our fault that he's dead in the first place."

"Shut up and bow," the leading figure spat. "You made amends for your sins by joining me. The heretic who plotted his murder is dead."

The other two figures glanced at each other before falling to their knees, slowly lifting their hands before them.

"My lord," the leading figure repeated, drawing forth a round object covered by a black cloth. "We have come before you with a gift. We have come before you to offer you eternal life. All that we ask is that you accept our covenant and cleanse us of our sins. We have proven our loyalty by eliminating the heretic, and we bow before you as reformed men."

The figure's prayer was suddenly cut off by a low growl from the dais. Slowly drawing his hood back and dropping the offering to the ground before him, the leader gasped as a golden light began to glimmer forth from the symbols on the alter.

It had worked.

He stood in the world between worlds, hands clasped smartly behind his back, eyes closed. Of course, contrary to appearance, he could see everything. No world, no person, no scheme went unnoticed. In one moment, he watched as the sacrifices went about their menial lives, wandering aimlessly around like cattle preparing for the slaughter.

How funny. They believed they were in control of their existance.

In the next moment, he glimpsed the three cloaked figures kneeling before the dais, hands extended before them in worship of a false idol.

How funny. They believed they were in control of the game.

Then he saw the vessel, rising slowly into the air amid a cloud of confetti, cheers, and smoke. A "technological marvel," they'd called it. Humanity's "first step into the final frontier."

How funny. And yet...

"The die has been cast," the figure murmured, eyes snapping open. "Now it gets fun. Now it begins."

Well, it's certainly been a long road full of both ups and downs. Regardless, it never ceases to amaze me that this game continues to flourish and grow so long after its conception. When I posted that first game thread so long ago, I never could have dreamed that mafia would grow as much as it has. If not for this game, I would've left these forums ages ago, but mafia and the people who play it continue to draw me back in again and again. We've formed a pretty amazing community and we've all grown from each other over the years. This game pretty much represents my goodbye to this community, and is probably the last mafia game I'll be involved in for a while; despite that, I've made a lot of friends through a block PvP forum (something I never expected to happen, heh) and I'm so glad I got the chance to get to know all of you and then also plot all of your murders c:.

At its core, mafia is a puzzle that each player is attempting to solve. Through a series of lies, gambits, plots, countplots, counter-counterplots, and mind games, each player attempts to gain the upper hand over the others to bring about a victory for their faction. If you enjoy social or mental games, mafia is the thread for you!

A game of mafia details the power struggle between two factions: the Town and the Mafia. The Town represents an uninformed majority; the bulk of players will be put into this faction, but they won't know who the other members of the Town are at the start of the game. It is the Town's goal to figure out who is a part of the Mafia, and eliminate those players. The Mafia represents an informed minority; though they are a much smaller group, the Mafia has access to a private chat through which they can scheme, and can easily gain the upper hand through strategic planning. It is the Mafia's goal to outnumber the Town.

Third party roles may also be thrown into the game. This "faction" often works alone, and comes equipped with their own unique win conditions. Some neutrals are harmless and must simply survive until the end of the game, but others are playing with the intention of killing every other player.

At the start of the game, each player will be PM'd their role and faction. Every role has a unique ability that will be outlined in the role PM. From there, Mafia is divided into two repeating cycles; Day and Night. During the Day, every player will have an open discussion in this thread. It is at this point that players try and figure out who they can trust, as well as discern other people's roles. This discussion will eventually lead to a lynch at the end of the day; it is the Town's objective to figure out who is a part of the Mafia and lynch them, while the Mafia aims to mislead the Town and get them to lynch one of their own. At any point during the Day, anyone can vote for someone to be lynched by using the tags [VOTE] *Player Name* [/VOTE]. The Day will end after a period of 48 hours, at which point the player with the most votes is lynched. It is also possible to end day eariler if a specific player receives half of the votes of the surviving players plus one (this will be outlined in day-starting mod posts throughout the game). When a player is lynched, their role is revealed to everyone and they are considered "dead" and no longer in the game.

During the Night, each player will perform their night actions. As previously stated, each person has a role with special abilities. It is during the night that these abilities can be used. Every player PMs me what they want to do with their ability (whether it be killing, protecting, investigating, role blocking, etc. another player). It is also during this period that the Mafia has access to their private chat that they can use to plan and scheme, but this thread is closed for discussion. This period will end once each player sends me their night action.

These cycles will repeat until a winner has been determined (typically until only one faction of players remains alive). I will then hand out some awards to recognize the best players and moments of the game, and then this mafia round will come to an end!

Mafia is a great way to make some new friends on the forum, join an incredibly active community, and have a great time playing what is (in my opinion) one of the best social games out there.

1. A game of lies, deceit, plotting, counterplotting, and mental games between three factions: the town (an uninformed majority), the mafia (the informed and organized minority), and the third parties (individual players with unique win conditions).

2. Cycles through two repeating time periods, day and night. Day will take place over 48 hours, and it is during this time that all players discuss the game and who to lynch in this chat. At the end of the day, the player with the most votes is killed, and the 24 hour night cycle begins. During the night, all players will use their night actions specified in their PMs.

3. The above cycles repeat until a winner is determined. The town will win when all anti-town players are dead, the mafia will win when their faction outnumbers all other players, and third parties will win when they achieve their own special conditions (with the most common being to kill all other players or survive until the end of the game).

The rules, though a bit boring and dry, are an incredibly important part of making sure the game runs smoothly and everyone (both new and returning players) has a good time. Please thoroughly read them, as I will be enforcing them. Also keep in mind that I may adjust the rules if a situation not covered by them arises, and I have the final say in any rule-based arguments.

1. Remain respectful of each other. Yes, mafia is a heated game and you will get into arguments, but that does not give any player permission to make personal attacks. We don't tolerate any form of bullying in these games, and players who do not respect this rule will be modkilled and potentially banned from future games.

2. Remember that we are still on the Hypixel forums, so all of their rules (especially the ones about posting child-appropiate content) apply. That means avoid cursing, sexual innuendos, etc. I don't care, but the forum mods do, and we need to respect their rulings.

3. Do not discuss the game outside of either this thread or a PM created by me. Period. End of story. Discussing the game outside of the designated areas is considered cheating and, if I find out about it, you will be modkilled and potentially banned from future games.

4. Do not use any secret codes created prior to the game. This falls in line with the above rule; codes created during the game in a PM made by me or within the game thread are completely allowed, but any other codes are against the rules and will result in a modkill.

5. Do not gamethrow. Gamethrowing is considered any actions that go against your or your faction's win condition, whether that be attacking a player on your team due to a personal grudge or attempting to kill other players on your team for no discernable reason. Yes, I completely understand that bussing or attacking members of your faction is a completely valid strategy, and yes, the line may get blurry at times, but I think everyone should understand the difference between a strategic attack and a senseless action purposely meant to go against your faction.

6. Try and avoid posting in this thread during the night. While banter posts are okay in moderation, any form of game-related information cannot be shared in this thread during the night.

7. If/when you die, you are out of the game and cannot post in this thread until the game ends. Unlike the aforementioned banter rule, I will be enforcing this; too often, a dead player gives game-changing information (accidentally or not), which ruins the experience for other players.

8. Do not directly quote or screenshot anything from any game-related PMs you are in. Let me repeat myself. Do NOT directly quote or screenshot anything from any game-related PMs you are in. This includes your role PM, factional PMs, etc. Doing this goes against the entire spirit of the game, and will get you instantly modkilled.

9. In general, don't abuse any loopholes you come across. The rule list is comprehensive, but it does not cover every possible situation; if you think you've discovered a way to break the game, please run it by me before putting it into action. Remember that, if a situation not covered by the rules arises, I will use my own discretion to solve it.

10. Do not edit or delete any posts you make during the game, as this is considered cheating and can be used to cover up any information you may have let slip.

11. Though this is a hard rule to enforce, quality is always better than quantity. To make both my life and the lives of your fellow players easier, try not to post fluff (aka meaningless content that does nothing to further your personal agenda or the game). Like I said, I won't be enforcing any banter rules, but please be considerate of everyone's time.

12. Inactivity. Too often in the past, players have signed up and then don't play the game. This is incredibly inconsiderate and can ruin the game for everyone. All players are required to post multiple times per day phase, unless you inform me of your inavailability ahead of time. Failure to do this will get you replaced. I understand that real life comes first, but please just let me know if you won't be able to be active so I can replace you.

13. Try and avoid using crazy mafia acronyms. New players don't know what TFPTSLBOOIA is, so try and stay away from acronyms that may cause confusion (or explain what the acronym means; just try to keep everyone on the same page).

14. All anti-town players will be given a fake flavor claim and the town win condition.

15. Flavors do tie in with the roles, and flavor is very much alignment indicative. Custom roles will appear as well.

16. As this is an anniversary game, please make an extra effort to follow the rules and remain active so everyone has a positive mafia experience.

As I mentioned in Rule 9, this is not a comprehensive rulelist, but it should give everyone a good idea of what is and is not allowed.

To sign up, simply leave a comment indicating that you want to join the game. If you receive a hype train, that means you are officially on the player list. Please remember that the 27 spots will be given on a first come, first serve basis, but players who miss the initial signup window can still be added to the backup list.

1. Quicksilver666
    2. Awknd-Mez-
    3. WhyMinecraft
    4. Atoriax
    5. Tmi489
    6. xScrublord
    7. SupremeCourt
    8. FriendlyPsychopath
    9. Ominous_
    10. Echks
    11. DatGamer
    12. BadPlayerBadName
    13. Serendipity
    14. The_Skrim_5000
    15. DargonKing87
    16. AGrumpyCat
    17. totum
    18. Languid
    19. SlingshotWaffles
    20. Ryast
    21. PhoenixOmega
    22. MostLukelyToSucceed
    23. jmwjmw27
    24. Confor
    25. joshua123_4
    26. DragonKing87

1. FruitLoopsFerrari
    2. Grones
    3. XCVigilance
    4. DaughterOfDangerAndLooshy

None... yet.

Vote count is up to date as of post N/A. Vote distribution is:

N/A

N/A

Note that this is a list of claimed roles. Just because a claim is on here does not mean it is accurate.

N/A

Town of Salem, the aforementioned browser game based off of mafia, is definitely the best and most fun way for new players to learn the basics of the game.

This is a very informative guide that talks about basic strategy for new players.

Any role that appears here may appear in the game. However, there is a good chance that custom roles will appear on the role list.

As always, don't hesitate to PM me if you have any questions, I'll try and reply as quickly as I can. It is important to note that, due to some specifics of this game, this likely isn't the most new player friendly mafia game. Mafia experience (both in general and of Hypixel Mafia) will definitely be helpful when playing this game.

Good luck!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    • Like x 7
    • Hype Train x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Useful x 1
    • Creative x 1
  2. Quicksilver666

Quicksilver666 Well-Known Member

In

• Hype Train Hype Train x 5
    • Creative Creative x 1
  3. put me as the last last last last backup

!

• Hype Train Hype Train x 7
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  4. Awknd

Awknd Well-Known Member

Awknd
    VIP
    FabSQUAD OFFICER
    In ;3

• Hype Train Hype Train x 6
    • Creative Creative x 1
  5. /in
    dammit wanted to be first for once :(

• Creative Creative x 1
  6. Ryast

Ryast Well-Known Member

/out

• Hype Train Hype Train x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  7. Atoriax

Atoriax Well-Known Member

Atoriax
    VIP+
    /in

• Creative Creative x 1
  8. awknd godly

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • Hype Train Hype Train x 1
  9. Won't be signing up, but good luck to all you who do!

• Hype Train Hype Train x 8
    • Creative Creative x 1
  10. Ryast

Ryast Well-Known Member

oh but could I have the rolelist I want to have some fun watching if I have the time

• Hype Train Hype Train x 6
    • Creative Creative x 1
  11. good because we abuse nons here

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • Hype Train Hype Train x 1
  12. Mitochondria

Mitochondria Well-Known Member

yeah sure
    rolelist isn't 100% finalized yet, but I'll send it to you once i'm done

just send me an aggressive pm or i'll probably forget