Do you think the ranks on the Hypixel store are too expensive

1. Yes

12.0%
  2. No

88.0%
  1. Sirket

Sirket Active Member

Sirket
    If you pay nearly as much a a triple A game for a rank that does almost nothing on a Minecraft server then you're a total sucker tbh.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. I have no idea on how they could be running out of money, unless they spent all of it in Hytale, they get a lot of it, and I mean A LOT of it.
    You could argue they need to pay people who work in the server, but hosting itself seems to be pretty cheap, $50 on MCPH (apparently their host), and from the looks of how many people in the server have MVP+ or MVP++ (not counting other cosmetics), they shouldn't the running out of money, again, unless they spent it all on Hytale.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. snot

snot Well-Known Member

fact that mvp+ is 45 is still wack. It should be ode like 30 at least. This server dont need no 45 dollar rank, they set.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Sirket

Sirket Active Member

Sirket
    if the company has enough money to fund development of an entirely new game i doubt they're hurting for money that much.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Money from the server does not fund Hytale, it all goes back into the server. Which costs a lot to run. Hypixel does not use MCPH and hasn’t for a long time, they use a dedicated server provider outside of Minecraft and contract dedicated server boxes for long periods of time (I’m not sure exactly how long, but my guess would be somewhere between 6months-18months st a time). This is not cheap in the slightest, but necessary to keep Hypixel running smoothly.

6. Sirket

Sirket Active Member

Sirket
    the only valid reason to buy a rank is so people won't say "shut up nonnie" when you criticize the server

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Blizzard4K

Blizzard4K Member

Okay, thank you all for your replies. I think i'm going to be purchasing a relatively cheap rank like vip+ soon :)

• Like Like x 3
  8. Sirket

Sirket Active Member

Sirket
    probably for the best

9. I mean, supporting a server that has brought me amazing memories over the past 6 years sounds like a steal to me.

10. Server boxes aren't cheap but aren't expensive either, this is pretty much the basic for any server this popular, it's not something from another world to use server boxes.

11. It is indeed a steal to pay $40-55 for a rank.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  12. Tip

Tip

Tip Well-Known Member

TipDS
    MVP+
    Wrong Section FORUMS
    How else would the monetize themselves? They create an absolutely amazing experience that is completely free of charge as long as you make it that way. Think if your favorite food was completely free but they advertise a sauce to put on it that was a bit of money but made it taste better. That’s amazing imo, and even before the EULA when there was a slight bit of p2w you would still be able to get that food for free but the sauce would be a bit more expensive but better. Hypixels implementation of loot boxes is easily one of the least intrusive I’ve seen, and any casual player would not even think about buying them. Heck, I’m no casual player and I haven’t even bought any, just a rank because I like to play private mode with my friends once in a while which I don’t even get for 8$ a month because I got the battle pass for 4.

13. Sirket

Sirket Active Member

Sirket
    Lootboxes are anti-consumer, full stop, and Hypixel is not your friend.

The responsible, and ethical way to implement paid cosmetics is a transparent interface with consistent, dollar amount pricing (no funbucks, which are deliberately created to obscure the value of the thing you're purchasing).

But that doesn't bring in nearly as much money as using psychological manipulation tactics like gambling and price/value obfuscation to get people to spend way more than they otherwise would.

Battle Passes are not good for the consumer either, they're blatantly made to take advantage of FOMO psychology by time-limiting content and constantly reminding you of what you're missing out on by drip-feeding you minimal rewards just to remind you that you could have so much more (nevermind that most of it is stuff that you will never use, because the lootbox/battlepass model relies on creating filler, garbage content to trick people into paying for)

The vast majority of monetization methods used by companies is horrible. Hell, Minecraft server ranks are probably the _best_ of all of the monetization methods that Hypixel uses.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Tip

Tip

Tip Well-Known Member

TipDS
    MVP+
    Wrong Section FORUMS
    So you’re basically saying using psychology to lead your customers to buy something is wrong, even though that is literally the basis of advertisement... ok.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Sirket

Sirket Active Member

Sirket
    Yes, manipulating human psychology through unregulated gambling (Let's call a spade a spade, here. That's what lootboxes are) and other manipulative marketing tactics is in fact, morally wrong.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  16. No. I bought MVP+ for $20 during a sale, which is a great offer as it was around 80 US dollars.

17. Considering I spent $150 on mvp+ it’s fine

18. LW001

LW001 Well-Known Member

LW001
    MVP+
    Der ZID ZID
    Guild Master
    They're dirt cheap now but MVP++ being monthly is personally too much for me for the things it offers.

19. Kn0tty

Kn0tty Active Member

pofqt
    MVP+
    Rebel ΘREBLΘ
    Rookie
    stop being poor

20. I'm not poor, just not paying $45 + $7 monthly for a rank in a server in a square game