1. Pikachu

Pikachu Well-Known Member

Pikachu
    MVP+
    JUILD JUILD
    Officer
    Name: Obstopper
    Functionality: Diamond Pick with efficiency 20 and 4 uses.
    Recipe: [​IMG]

I think y'all know the reason for this and why it should exist. Make it a thing pls. Very few people would be opposed to this, and the only ones are because they specifically rely on obbying to do well, which isn't a valid reason to be against it. From a perspective of objectivity and not from bias, this would be a good thing.

Edit: I think this is implied, but obviously it'd have to not be anvillable. Duh.

Edit 2: As Grubby suggested, it'd be an iron pick instead of a diamond one. What matters is that it'd be able to break a piece of obsidian in exactly 2 seconds (should be good? Might need playtesting). This makes getting obbied still a threat, but later into a snowball grants a viable counter if you have the healing and armor to survive for 2 seconds.

Edit 3: A lot of people are giving their reasoning for why they believe this shouldn't be in the game, and that obsidian trapping isn't a problem. I'll go further in depth into why I feel it IS a problem. My biggest reason is that it's just too easy. It takes no effort, skill, strategy, or prep time. The only resources required is 6 iron, and it can be done within half a second by anyone with any gear. A naked player can kill a full prot-4 diamond player with 20 gaps without taking damage and all they need is 6 iron to do it. That just sounds unbalanced alone, doesn't it? The most common argument is that it's easy to avoid getting obby trapped, but I have a counter for that as well. If a player digs down, digging on them puts you at risk of getting obbied. Because of this, you have to dig a 2x1 to guarantee you dont get stuck in a position to be trapped. Because of that, you dig at a 2x slower rate than them, giving them the ability to dig as far and as long as they want with you never being able to catch them. Hell, they can even go back to surface and then you're at an even worse position, because a player on surface is even MORE dangerous when trying to obsidian trap you. All in all, you basically have the choice of letting them go, or dying when they dig down. That isn't balanced. Letting a running player infinitely groundhog isn't what I believe to be good game design, especially for a gametype like this. Long story short, the TLDR is that the concept of obsidian trapping is far too easy to execute for how strong it is, meaning that the concept itself needs a nerf, or we need a craft for a feasible counter, which is where the obstopper comes in. Ty and have a good day.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
    • Like Like x 24
    • Disagree Disagree x 6
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. this could also work to the trapped benefit if you think about it making spleefing much faster and easier. plus obbying is one of the only ways to reliably kill a cheater. although i’m not directly opposed to this

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Pikachu

Pikachu
    MVP+
    JUILD JUILD
    Officer
    If you have one of your own as well, you can still counter any obby trap. It could benefit them but only if their opponent doesn't have one too.
    It's the only way to get a guaranteed kill on a bhopper, but other cheaters can be killed through plenty of other methods. I don't think the existence of cheaters should be enough to change the functionality of the game itself for legit players.
    \o/

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. I'm split I can see this being good but also way too cheap to make I like the idea tho but make it somehow harder to make then I'm sold

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Pikachu

Pikachu
    MVP+
    JUILD JUILD
    Officer
    I think it being cheap to make is a good thing. It doesn't provide a major advantage and isn't gamebreaking, the only thing it does is provide a hard counter to being obsidian trapped, which I think is a good thing to be common. What reason should it be harder to get? I mean I guess it'd be fine for it to be harder considering it's more useful in the mid/late-game than early-game anyways but yeah I dunno. Maybe replace the obby with 1 diamond and replace the iron ingots with gold ones instead?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. yeah I like the replace iron with gold idea and I guess it would be good for more newer players I guess ya got me I'm down

• Like Like x 1
  7. This is a good craft, well balanced and well thought out.
    +1

• Like Like x 1
  8. Grubby

Grubby Well-Known Member

Grubbae
    VIP+
    JUILD JUILD
    Officer
    I don't really like the idea of this, more because it sounds like it's just for the purpose of taking something away from players who obby trap. The craft looks quite good actually, just needs to be an iron pickaxe so you can't get the obsidian back. Otherwise, wouldn't mind if this gets added or not, I doubt many people would be bothered to craft this, but I don't get obby trapped so I wouldn't know how it feels.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  9. this a good one noah I hope the staff teaming sees it

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. well if its made to be an iron pick its only use would be for oby traps and this would actually make it useful for other thins not like oby is impossible to get (comined philos + oby craft)

11. Grubby

Grubby Well-Known Member

Grubbae
    VIP+
    JUILD JUILD
    Officer
    Fair enough, although the only difference between an iron pick and a diamond pick is that you can obtain obsidian, which as you said, isn't impossible to get since we have an obsidian craft and combined philos. Iron pick with high efficiency enchant can still be used for spleef traps and stuff like Timbuktu suggested.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Pikachu

Pikachu
    MVP+
    JUILD JUILD
    Officer
    If it's an iron pick, it needs extra efficiency. The point is its ability to break obsidian within ~2 seconds. But i do agree though. It being easy to make and helping to instantly get 4 obby is a bit of an oversight, so good call. But as for the first part, yeah. It is. Obby trapping is a flawed concept that needs a counter of some sort.

13. how is obby trapping that much of an issue

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. this could also be used to faster mine obsidian for dragon crafts/etables etc

15. galico

galico Well-Known Member

galico
    MVP+
    Obby trapping is a part of the game mechanics and its fairly easy to avoid if you know what your doing.

For this issue I don't think the problem is with the game, its with your gameplay. As I've seen you are hyper aggressive and these are the easiest players to trap, you just let them combo you, dig down and BAM ez obby

When digging on someone don't dig straight down, or don't dig down at all, its not like they are going to stay down all game.

Completely disagree, the counter to obby trapping is smart and throrough gameplay, the only way one gets obbied is through mistakes in judgement. An item does not need to be implemented to change this, you have to rework your game sense.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  16. If this was anvilable I’d have to break no but november

17. Pikachu

Pikachu
    MVP+
    JUILD JUILD
    Officer
    It's an unbalanced mechanic, quite obviously. Takes no effort, skill, or strategy. Just two liquid placements and you have a guaranteed kill on someone regardless of their gear. That's just not reasonable.
    I shouldn't have to let someone go just because they dug down, that's just not reasonable logic at all. If I've been fighting someone and they have diamond pieces I need, AND in that fight forced me to eat 4 gaps and 2 heads, I obviously need to finish that fight and get the kill or it was a hard net loss which could easily end my game. That isn't a flaw to my gameplay, it's just basic logic. The flaw is the mechanic of obby trapping itself. There's a reason you can't do it in multiple other gamemodes. It's unbalanced, even moreso in uhc. As I've said many times, "don't fall for it" just isn't a valid argument at all because it alters the game too much in negative ways. It lets people just infinitely groundhog which nobody likes at all.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Pikachu

Pikachu
    MVP+
    JUILD JUILD
    Officer
    It'd not be anvillable. That'd just lead to gigadrilling. The point is preventing obby traps and nether portal traps, not gigadrilling.
    As suggested by grubby, it could just be an iron pick instead so it doesn't actually drop the obsidian upon mining it, but just breaks it.

19. truth

• Like Like x 1
  20. can you also pick up the obsidian when you mine it k thanks