• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. lopen

lopen Well-Known Member

lopen
    MVP+
    CowSquad COWSQD
    Officer
    There is this thing called ''change versions'' in the launcher.. It's their own fault for sticking to an out-dated version if they can't get games to start in build battle while on 1.8

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Oh boy I can't wait to play some build battle

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. What about us normal people who don't play build battle constantly and just play it for fun aside from other games? We make up for a decent percentage. If games don't start on 1.8.8, it's going to slowly chip away at build battle. Not saying it'll instantly die, but over time the lack of new "tryhards" coming in from other competitive games (e.g. skywars/mega walls etc) is going to hurt it.

I doubt many people in this situation would purposefully change to 1.14.4 if games aren't starting. Unless the entire network shifted, I doubt many people would make the change unless they only play build battle.

From my point of view, I don't see the game getting more popular, it'll either stay the same or go down hill because of this change, I doubt many people will come to the game just because it's on 1.14.4.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. I’m glad you found a compromise between the 1.8 players and the 1.9+ players.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. It’s kind of annoying (for me) to have to switch versions to enjoy the new blocks while still needing to be able to pvp on other modes but I’ll work through it

1.14 is literally amazing in the blocks department so I’m glad a solution was going

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Dang thats cool! Props to hypixel!

8. Waitron

Waitron Well-Known Member

Waitron
    MVP+
    LIGHT L
    Guild Master
    Omg finally! Cant wait for more!

9. I really wish I had the creativity to appreciate this update

10. lopen

lopen Well-Known Member

lopen
    MVP+
    CowSquad COWSQD
    Officer
    The majority of build battle players plays on 1.14, why do we act as if 1.8 players have any significant impact on the game?
    People can still play, they're just encouraged to update to a higher version.
    If you don't like the wait, just update to 1.14 and you're not having to wait anymore.

If we keep giving in to 1.8 players ''CuZ i PlAy On 1.8 sO aLl GaMeS nEeD tO bE pLaYaBlE fOr Us ToO'', we'll end up with support for 40 versions and no game with the newest features. There's a gazzilion new features in all versions higher than 1.8, yet we can't even use those to suggest ideas for the server because 1.8 players are keeping the server stuck in an ancient version of the game.

It's the pinnacle of arrogance to think that Build battle is going to be a worse game now that it finally got the newer blocks the building game needed, because 1.8 players can't play as easily anymore.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  11. Yo chev calm down

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. YEEEAAA BOOI

13. THANK YOU!
    99% of my builds outside of build battle contain smooth sandstone, stripped logs, new stairs/slabs, concrete (powder), bark blocks etc. and I'm so glad we have these in build battle =D

Also, got any plans for other updating other gamemodes? While I'm not a great PvPer myself, I'm sure there will be a bunch of people who would love a bedwars mode where they can use crossbows and tridents =P

• Like Like x 2
  14. SkyWars update please.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Amazing!
    A lot of build battle players have been waiting for this update ^^

16. No specific statistics have been publicised, but I doubt it's more than 70%. A 30% drop in a game is enough to severely damage it's long-term stability. The last time network-wide statistics were released, it showed 49% of players played on 1.8.9, thus meaning (unless these statistics have changed - which I can't say since I don't have that information) when someone new joins build battle, there's a 50/50 chance of them being on an old version, if that version doesn't start, chances are they're not going to change version, they're just going to play a different game or a different server - causing a new person who could have enjoyed the game enough to want to change to 1.14.4 to suddenly not be interested. If we're seeing this through rose tinted glasses then yes, everyone would ideally want to change versions to play it, but not everyone is a committed player, they're not going to change version for this, they're going to stop playing - damaging overall playercount of the game.

Nobody is claiming that ''CuZ i PlAy On 1.8 sO aLl GaMeS nEeD tO bE pLaYaBlE fOr Us ToO''. It makes business sense to allow all games to be friendly for all players, splitting players normally doesn't go well (e.g. mineplex eu/us divide). Keeping the 1.8.8 ability is all well and good, until you realize that if 30% of player's are still 1.8.9, it's going to damage the game. If there's a significant start time for games, people tend not to play it, as said before - if someone comes along who isn't a dedicated player, they're probably not going to change version.

"yet we can't even use those to suggest ideas for the server because 1.8 players are keeping the server stuck in an ancient version of the game.". So you're trying to say that 1.8 players are holding the server back? Ignoring the fact that the servers are still on 1.7 spigot and would take hundreds of manhours to update every single game. If you can expand games to common versions (1.8.8. and 1.14.4) without splitting players, then you'll have a decently successful game in that regard. Claiming that 1.8 players are holding back the server is stupid, they could simply update it if they wanted to, which is what they're trying to do now. But we're going to see a steady decline in the playerbase due to this move (or at least - we'll see in the future). Hypixel pretty much defines what people play within the java multiplayer community, if they wanted to, they could fully shift to 1.14 and a lot of people would follow, but it's a risk. They're taking the risk, we'll see what happens.

Finally, nowhere did I claim the game would be worse for having new blocks, don't take what I say out of context. I said the game would decline in players. Players do not equal game quality. It's up to hypixel what they do, I'm giving my analytical opinion based on years of past trends with other servers and countless amount of server management experience.

Either way, we'll see what happens in the future, but I have a feeling this will damage build battle. And will significantly reduce new players joining build battle.

• Like Like x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. What about parties with multiple versions?

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. ;-; I feel like they should just make it compromised in a different way.. Is there a way to make concrete blocks look like wool for 1.8 -1.13 but keep it concrete for 1.14? Lobbies already don't get filled that much... this will kill it even more if you separate them....
    right I just realized there are most definitely more blocks that have been added like the slabs and stripped logs.. UHh.. I mean.. Idk. Like cookie said, parties will be split. Not sure how build battle's community is gonna look once this has been implemented. I mean I'd personally love to use the extra slabs, but a lot of mods stopped updating at 1.8, including one that I really like to use, so I stick to 1.8. Not sure how I feel about having to switch versions just to play a game of build battle.
    (So I've been messing around on another server, and I think for trapdoors you can just use doors.)

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Yay, you have the rest of the server left to update!

20. Yes Update A game Which is Fine and not a game that’s needed like The classic games Or A new game

• Hype Train Hype Train x 1